[KBibTeX] another bug
Jürgen Spitzmüller
2009-07-06 08:12:23 UTC
Hi again,

I found another problem in KBiBTeX's BibTeX export.

The program apparently automatically embraces the von-Part and the surname, as
in:

author = {Ferdinand {de Saussure}}

However, this utterly breaks BibTeX's name parser. BibTeX no longer detects
the von-Part. This is crucial when it comes to sorting. Some sorting
conventions require that names such as "de Saussure" and "von Hofmannsthal"
are sorted under "S" and "H" respectively, not "d" and "v". This only works as
long as the name is written unembraced, as in:

author = {Ferdinand de Saussure}

I think KBibTeX should respect whatever the user inputs. It should neither add
nor remove braces. The latter is important since there are indeed surnames
that contain blanks. For instance, in Switzerland it is common to have double
family names not divided by hyphen, but by blank, such as "M?ller Weidemann".
Such names must be embraced, as in

author = {Peter {M?ller Weidemann}}

One might even take into account cases such as

author = {Peter Heinrich von {M?ller Weidemann}}

Regards,
J?rgen
Thomas Fischer
2009-07-08 19:39:33 UTC
Hello J?rgen,

the code to determine whether and additional quoting is necessary is
determined in FileExporterBibTeX::requiresPersonQuoting(..). Given that
you argue that protective quoting is not necessary, this function can be
greatly simplified. Although I guess I had my reasons to introduce it in
the first place, I would like to get a second option (from the mailing
list) on this matter before removing the protective quoting code.
Oren Patashnik states in his 1988 BibTeX manual nothing of a protective
quoting to be required...
Post by Jürgen Spitzmüller
[...]
Quoting is required in cases such as

author = {Gabriel {Garc?a M?rquez}}

without the protective quoting, BibTeX would determine Garc?a as a second
surname.

Nicolas Markey's BibTeX documentation has a nice section on BibTeX's name
parsing algorithm (sec 11):
http://tug.ctan.org/get/info/bibtex/tamethebeast/ttb_en.pdf

(Looking at the person container in value.cpp, it strikes me that this
container needs a "von" and a "junior" value next to the firstName and
lastName.)

J?rgen